Your body is a machine and like a machine, it runs best when it is properly maintained. Here at Coastal Chiropractic, we believe that it is imperative to take care of your health and to treat your body with the respect it deserves. Regular chiropractic adjustments is one of the key ways you can keep your body in tip top shape, but also consider what you’re putting into your system. If your body is indeed a machine, it needs the proper fuel to function at its best.
If you suffer with illness, aches, pains, acne, weight gain, even depression and mood disorders, the answer may be right in front of your face. Your food.
It has been proven that a person can exercise regularly while still being in very poor health simply due to the foods they are ingesting. The food you eat will make a monumental impact on the way you feel and the way you function.
In North America, we have become obsessed with weight loss. Look around the grocery store and you will see the evidence. A barrage of products that claim to be ‘Fat Free!’ or ‘Sugar Free!’ meanwhile, they are packed full of chemical combinations that our bodies don’t recognize and don’t know how to break down.
So what is good for our bodies? I’m glad you asked!
Here are some things to remember:
– Fresh is best. Fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts and berries are the way to go. Buy fresh and choose organic if there as an option for that. Always remember to wash your produce well before consuming it and try steaming, juicing or eating them raw. Boiling and baking can remove a lot of the nutrients.
– Do a perimeter grocery shop. Most grocery stores are set up so that the fresh food is around the perimeter of the store and the packaged stuff is in the aisles. Try to stay out of the aisles. You can get all of the meat, vegetables, fruits, grains and dairy you need by doing a perimeter grocery shop.
– If it can last longer than you, don’t eat it. Non-perishable food items are packed with chemicals, preservatives and salt so they’ll keep longer.
– Read the labels. Often times if you can’t pronounce it, it’s probably not real food. Check the sugar content in what you are eating. Healthy fat is good for your body but sugar needs to be monitored closely. It is in everything these days. Even foods you wouldn’t suspect. Sushi, anyone?
– Drink lots of water.
– Focus on adding the good. So often we start ‘diets’ where the focus is all about what we can’t have or enjoy anymore. These lifestyles never last because they are a really depressing way to look at food. Love food! Enjoy food! Instead of focusing on what you can’t have, focus on what you can! Add in some good, healthy choices and eventually, you won’t have room for so much of the bad.
– Take quality supplements. You can receive a lot of the nutrients you need through proper supplementation and it will help kick start your new life style in a fabulous way. Supplements are especially helpful in places like Newfoundland where growing a variety of produce is difficult and sometimes in possible. Everyone should consider adding a high-end multi-vitamin, fish oil and mineral complex to their diet in order to receive the best possible nutrition. At Coastal Chiropractic, we offer an exceptional line of health supplements and nutraceutical line called ‘Metagenics’. Ask about it today!
You only have one body and one life to live so make it a long, healthy and happy one by taking care of yourself.